MAIN REASON FOR JOURNEY: The reason without which the journey would not have been made. The following reasons are considered:
- Leisure, recreation and holiday: relaxation, gastronomy, shopping, sports as a spectator or player, education, meetings (non-professional), culture and entertainment as a spectator, art, hobbies, games and others (non-professional);
- Professional / business: meetings, conventions,seminars, conferences, congresses, fairs and exhibitions (trade participation), missions, incentive trips, sales, marketing and other services,research, consultancy, language courses, education, research, occupations inthe arts, culture, religion and sports;
- Visiting family and friends: visits to family members and/or friends, attending funerals, weddings, birthdays and other family events;
- Health (voluntary reasons): health care and treatment at spas and near the sea, convalescent homes, and other treatments;
- Religion and pilgrimages (non-professional):attending religious events and pilgrimages;
- other reasons.
TOURIST: Visitor who stays at least one night in a collective or private accommodation in the place/country visited.
TOURIST TRIP: Movement towards one or more tourist destinations,including the return journey. It covers the whole period of time in which a person remains away from his/her usual environment.
REFERENCE PERIOD: The length of time for which data are collected, e.g. a specific day, month or year.